Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Ah, that hurts

Why do we have to suffer and experience pain.  We all have experienced pain in one form or another, whether it be while mourning the loss of a loved one or battling a nasty cold.  Some people experience chronic pain, both mental and physical, and my hat goes off while my heart goes out to those people.  Most of our pains go away in time but chronic pain is something other-worldy which takes an indominable will and the grace of God to overcome. (See my man Tron's blog on suffering which echoes many of the same words I share tonight.)

Why did God allow the people of Haiti so much suffering, why did he allow Katrina, why did he allow 9/11.  Was he punishing us? Some would answer with an emphatic yes!  I say, on the contrary, He is loving us. After all, He allowed is one and only, most beloved son to suffer a most extreme and horrific death. Did He do that because He was mad at Jesus, insert an emphatic NO here!  God allows suffering and pain so that a greater good may come from it.

I have had the unfortunate experience of throwing my back out, again, last night, and man does it hurt.  Do I complain, yes, should I, no.  Im a baby when it comes to pain and suffering, I cant handle it. Everyone needs to know when Mark isnt feeling good, I cant bear it graciously.  Those of you who know me, tell me to zip it next time I complain please.  Back to my back, what good can come from this?  Well tonight I have some time to post again, I had some time to rest, I had some time to read, and I did my part to help my chiropractor get a little more ching-a-ling in his pocket. Hey, everyones got to make a living. But most of all I can offer it to God and turn it in to a joy-filled blessing.  Joyful suffering, oxymoron if I ever heard of one, but hey, God dying on a cross turned the world on its head too.

Back to Jesus.  How can we make our suffering meaningful and joyful when it makes us feel so crappy.  Blessed Mother Theresa called suffering a kiss from Jesus.  He allows us to share in His most deepest love while sharing in His suffering.  St. Paul tells us in Collosians 1:24 "Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church."  What does this mean, how was Christ's suffering lacking.  He suffered once and for all on our behalf but we can still participate in His suffering with our own, and we are what its lacking.  St. Paul speaks of the body of Christ, which is us, the Church. Our suffering doesnt have to be in vain, even the smallest paper cut can mean something with the right intention.  Its only God's great love for us that allows us, even in our pain, to share in His glory and offer something to the people of God in all we do. Quoting a virtuous woman named Nennolina, "Pain is like fabric, the stronger it is the more its worth."

Next time you slam your finger in the door dont say God d*** it, say God thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment